The Anime Music Video contest is where video editors can compete to make the best and most impressive music videos. The entries will be shown during the convention and winners in each category will be given awards.
Please read these rules and use the submission form at the bottom.
AnimeIowa AMV Contest Rules
Exceptions to some of the following rules will be up to the discretion of the AMV Head.
No exceptions will be made in regards to the submission of highly sexual and/or hentai videos.
- The AnimeIowa AMV contest is open to all registered attendees and staff. Any contestant must be present at the AMV event and convention in order to receive any prize related to the AMV contest.
- Contestants may enter up to 3 videos in the contest for judging. If more than one video is entered, please indicate which one should be prioritized for judging. If cuts must be made, the lowest priority video(s) will be removed first.
- Videos must not exceed 5 minutes.
- All entries must be size of at least 640×480, a minimum resolution of 480p and be compatible with the latest version of VLC or Zoom player. Preferred video types are: avi, mpeg, mp4 and wmv. Please do your best to keep file sizes reasonable.
- NO HENTAI VIDEO AT ALL! We do not accept videos with nudity or references to sexual actions.
- Please keep in mind that this is a family friendly convention. All music and video must be rated PG-13 or lower. Please check ratings of your music before submission. If it is not immediately appropriate (and a non explicit version is not available) you may edit it to fall within guidelines. Check the AMV section of the forums for help.
- No subtitles are allowed in AMVs. Subtitles are distracting to the viewer and are grounds for immediate disqualification. Please contact us if you have questions about your video and any subtitle qualms. Don’t know how to remove subtitles from your videos? Check out the AMV section in the Forum for help.
- Credits are allowed in your videos. You must follow one of two formats.
- Credits can be a 3-5 second piece of of your video and must be at the end in this format.
- Credits can also be shown in one of the bottom corners, like music videos seen on TV. This format can be at the beginning or end of the video.
- All submissions must be an original composition of the contestant. Submitting the composition of another will be grounds for disqualification of all entries submitted by that contestant. Your video should not contain unaltered video taken from the official music video/trailer. If your video is played next to the music video/trailer, there should be no sequences that are identical.
- All physical materials sent as part of the entry process, including paperwork and physical media, will become the property of AnimeIowa and will NOT be returned.
Judging of entries will be conducted prior to the convention, with the exception of the audience choice.
This judging round will select winners for:
- Best in Show
- Category X (Videos that are not genre specific or fall under multiple genres)
- Trailer (as in movie trailer)
Winners for these awards will be announced during the AMV contest event on Saturday.
When you submit a video, please make sure that you categorize it within the above 6 categories. If you don’t, we will choose what we believe to be best. It is best if you tell us, so that your submission does not get assimilated into the wrong category.
All submissions will be judged for technical skill, emotional appeal and aesthetics. IE, does it make you happy, sad, or laugh hysterically? Do you want to watch it more than once?
Your entry in the contest does not guarantee that the video will be shown during the AMV event. We screen all videos to make sure the content is acceptable for our viewing audience.
Submissions will be open to the public on March 20, 2016.
Ending Date: All entries must be postmarked or submitted no later than midnight on July 26, 2016.
After you have submitted your entry, you should receive a confirmation email within 7 days. If you have not received a confirmation within this time period, please email the AMV department through the previously listed email, OR send a private message to user Yuko on the forums.
Please note: Online submission is preferable. However, if this is not possible, postmarked entries may be sent to:
410 E. Washington Street
Knoxville, IA 50138