Main Stage Cosplay Competition
- Welcome to AnimeIowa 2019’s Main Stage Cosplay Competition information page!
- In anime convention world, this may also be referred to as “Masquerade”.
- If you are new to Masquerade and have additional questions, please contact AnimeIowa’s Cosplay Team at email@example.com.
- You may enter in Workmanship, Performance, or both categories.
- Novice: You may enter at this division if you have never won any major awards (Best in Division, Best in Show) at a previous AnimeIowa Masquerade or at an anime convention of equal to or greater than previous year’s AnimeIowa size (official attendees count).
- Journeyman: You may enter at this division if you have won no more than two major awards (Best in Division, Best in Show) at a previous AnimeIowa Masquerade or at an anime convention of equal to or greater than previous year’s AnimeIowa size (official attendees count). Any Novice entry may elect to “compete up” and enter in the Journeyman Division.
- Master: Any contestant may elect to “compete up” and enter in the Master Division. Professional costumers’ must enter in the Master Division. If people pay for your costume work, even if you have other jobs that pay “the bills”, you are considered a professional.
- Your entry may be moved up to your appropriate division at the discretion of the judges or Cosplay Department Head.
- Best in Show
- Best Workmanship in Master Division
- Best Workmanship in Journeyman Division
- Best Workmanship in Novice Division
- Best in Performance in Master Division
- Best in Performance in Journeyman Division
- Best in Performance in Master Division
- Workmanship Judge’s Choice (x3)
- Performance Judge’s Choice (x3)
Judging Information for Everyone
- AnimeIowa Registration: You need to be registered for this year’s AnimeIowa to be eligible for Masquerade.
- Previous Costumes:
- If your costume won in a previous AnimeIowa Masquerade, it is not eligible for this year.
- If your costume is in this year’s Hall Cosplay Contest, it is not eligible for this year.
- Workmanship Judging: If you are participating in workmanship category, you need to sign up for one of the judging times (up to 5 minutes for individuals and small groups; up to 10 minutes for larger groups). You either signup for a time when you register for Masquerade or signup onsite on Friday of the convention. It is advised to bring reference materials and progress photos to help you talk up your creation during workmanship judging. If you can print off three copies, one for each workmanship judge, then you can be sure all the judges spend adequate amount of time reviewing your work. To be eligible for any workmanship awards, your entry’s participation is required at the performance portion of the Masquerade.
- Using Cosplay Models: You may use cosplay models for your entry. But, you need to be present with your models during all Masquerade events. During workmanship judging you will be the one presenting your work and answering questions from the judges.
- Performance category can either be short form or long form.
- Short Form Performance: No more than 30 seconds on the stage, including setup and clean up. A typical short form is a cosplayer walking to the center of the stage, holding first pose for 3 to 5 seconds, changing to second post for another 3 to 5 seconds, throwing in a third pose for 3 to 5 seconds, and walking off the stage to applause. Anything more than that requires the entry to be a long form performance.
- Long Form Performance: No more than 2 minutes of skit, short dance, or other kind of entertaining performance, including setup and clean up. This can be extended to 3 minutes with Cosplay Department Head’s permission.
- Audio: Your audio needs to be pre-recorded and submitted as an MP3 file. Microphones will not be available to contestants. If you do not have an audio preference, we will select a generic music for your time on the stage.
- Check in @ Cosplay Central: On Friday of the convention weekend, check in at Cosplay Central to verify the accuracy of your entry for names, cues for MCs, and the audio file.
- Masquerade Q&A Session: On Friday of the convention weekend, there is a Masquerade Q&A session with Cosplay Department. This is optional, but we strongly encourage you to attend for any last-minute information and changes.
- Rehearsal Stage: We have the luxury of extra space where we can setup a mockup of the Main Stage. We highly recommend that you schedule a time with Cosplay Central to use the stage mockup for practice on Friday or Saturday before Masquerade. Signup for the space will be available at the convention starting on Friday.
- Green Room: You (and everyone in the group if this is a group entry) should be checked into the Green Room by the specified time. See “Important Dates and Times” section. Each entry is allowed one handler. For group entries, up to two handlers are allowed. Handlers need to have their own AnimeIowa badge.
- PG-13: Masquerade is rated PG-13 but please consider this to be family entertainment. No nudity and use your best discretion.
- The Boring “No” Rules for the Green Room and Main Stage: Live animal (other than pre-approved and licensed service animal), aerosol spray, fog, uncontained liquid, projectiles, lose glitter, confetti, pyrotechnics (including but NOT limited to fire, flash powder, explosives, smoke bombs, fireworks), weapons not approved by convention’s weapon check desk, anything that poses damage risk to venue and equipment, and anything that poses health risk to the contestant and other persons. Your costume needs to be self-contained and not have pieces falling off that, at harmless end, pose extra cleanup effort, to the harmful end, pose safety risk.
- Final Note: MCs, Masquerade Stage Manager and Cosplay Department Head may stop a performance at any time for safety, sensitivity, and other reasons. Cosplay Department Head may disqualify an entry at any time for any reason. Remember, when in doubt, ask your Cosplay Department Head! General rule of thumb: We would love to have you surprise the audience, but please do not surprise the Cosplay Department. Decisions of the judges and Cosplay Department Head are final.
Judging Information for Groups
- If your entry is a group, this section is for you.
- The most experienced person in the group determines the group’s division placement.
- Everyone in your group needs to be present during your group’s judging times.
- Your group will be judged, and if awarded, as one singular entry regardless of how many members in the group.